1963 Jaguar E-Type OTS Roadster. 265 hp, 3,781 cc inline six-cylinder engine, four-speed manual transmission, independent front suspension with semi-trailing wishbones, torsion bars, telescopic shock absorbers, anti-roll bar, independent rear suspension with lower transverse tubular links, radius rods, twin coil springs, and telescopic shock absorbers, and four-wheel disc brakes. Wheelbase: 96 in.
One of just 2,203 Roadsters produced for 1963. Numbers-matching example. Full photographic record of the restoration.
Whether you referred to it as an E-Type or XKE, this Jaguar was most assuredly the sexiest car of the 1960s. It followed the Jaguar formula—sensational looks and sensational performance—which had been introduced so successfully with the XK120 in 1949 that it was restated with vigor in 1961. The youthful curves of the XK120 had matured with the XK150, while the E-Type made Jaguar young and exciting once again. Replacing the voluptuousness of the former car was the sleekness of the new one. What remained, however, was the undeniable sex appeal of the Jaguar formula.
The Venerable 1963 Jaguar E-Type
Chassis # 879668
Engine # RA2522-9
Body # R6415
Gearbox # EB10711JS
The E-Type was preceded by the competition D-Type of the mid-1950s and its short-lived production version, the XKSS of 1957. Like the D-Type, the new car used monocoque construction: The front of the chassis featured a space-frame with steel tubes that supported the engine, the front suspension, and the hinged hood and fender assembly, which lifted to provide virtually unlimited engine access. The proven twin-cam inline six-cylinder engine of the former 150S, a four-wheel independent suspension, and disc brakes at each corner were featured, and 150 mph was also promised; all of this for a price of only $6,000!
During 1963, Jaguar produced only 2,023 open two-seat roadsters, including this Old English White over red leather beauty. A canvas black top and black boot as well as a factory hard top complete the handsome ensemble.
This matching-numbers example, featuring its original 3.8-liter inline six, has been meticulously restored by The Mulsanne Motorcar Company of Calgary Alberta. The body has undergone a complete rotisserie rebuild and every aspect of the vehicle, has been painstakingly refurbished, attention to detail is obvious.